Hail and welcome, hail!

Gaming. Politics. Films. Football. Society. Life.

Saturday 13 August 2011

So, Metacritic...

Nope, this isn't the definitive break-down, mixing elements of mathematics, and particle physics, of the somewhat controversial score aggregator. That is for another day, and will require perhaps more web-space than this blog can offer. No, what I want to rant about here is something more irrelevant, but still prominent in its ability to annoy me.

So, maybe 2 or 3 months back, Metacritic began taking review scores for games played on iOS, Android and smart-phone/tablet devices and listed the highest scoring games on their site. This is, of course, Metacritic's function, so no complaints there. The problem is that the site doesn't list these games in a category intended for mobile games, but rather, thinks it's acceptable to integrate them onto the same list which 360/PS3/Wii/PC etc, appear on.

Now, to me, a game like Angry Birds isn't something I would ever consider a -- and I'm gonna say it chaps, so be ready -- "proper game". It's akin to something like, I dunno, minesweeper or something; you're playing it to kill a few minutes while you're on the train, or waiting at the doctor's. These aren't games that will engross you like a full PC or console title; they're just daft little games to play when you're bored.

This webpage makes me sad, as I'm sure it does for Team Bondi as well

I'm not saying the quality of games like Angry Birds are bad, or anything like that, and fully accept that reviews should be collected to listed. However, I don't think it's fair to put such games on a list which is populated by games made by large development teams using high-end technology and delivering large and complex gaming experiences. It's actually an insult to see something like Cut the Rope nestled above something like Shogun 2: Total War (not that this is the case, but is an example); if I were the developer of Shogun 2 I'd be mortified.

I've contacted Metacritic about resolving this annoying feature, but it's not likely they will take on-board any feedback from me alone. However, it seems so obviously flawed that I can only hope they have the sense to change it in future, and just make a separate list for iOS/Android games which is obviously best for everyone.

Another problem with this, and maybe a reason why Metacritic seems oblivious, is that many gaming journalists are becoming so casual with regards to gaming, that they themselves believe smart-phone games like Flick Kick Football are no different to playing games on consoles or PC (or even hand-helds like the 3DS or PSP, for that matter). This ties in with my feelings that gaming media is getting worse overall, since a lot of these professional writers are basing their gaming experiences from playing Cut the Rope and then being paid to review games like Frozen Synapse. There's too much wrong there for me to be happy with that, and I have to question the credibility of these journalists.

Nadal having a quick bash on Cut the Rope -- when he retires from being the best in the world at tennis, he can use this experience to land a job at Eurogamer

Of course, it's entirely possible to play and enjoy all types of games, be it on consoles or smart-phones, but when someone is actively getting paid to write about console games it's a little worrying to find out they spend most of their free-time not playing console games, but rather having the odd bash on Tiny Wings while on the train.

Maybe that's where I've been going wrong; I play too many actual games instead of Angry Birds. Maybe if I spent more time playing stuff like that on an i-Pad I might finally get a job at Gamespot. Worth a shot, you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment